Post new topic   Reply to topic    l Sedition l Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xstratax
Initiate

re: Raid Performance

I was going to tell you guys about Warcraftlogs, but at the time I heard of it they were on F&F Alpha only so I forgot about it.  Theck was saying theres some features planned that are still unannounced but if they pan out it will make WoL look like crap.

Ivaria
Officer
Veteran

Oh yeah here is us:

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/2178/

For those that are interested World of Logs has actually been on the wane for the past year or so.  Apparently the admin doesn't play WoW much anymore and the list of bugs has been piling up.  There has been a lot of buzz lately about a new site called Warcraftlogs.com.

I actually like this site a lot better and it has every feature I use on WoL plus some new ones aside from the expression editor.  Check it out if you are interested.

This girl has a good intro blog on it.  Check this out.

Also she has a really good guide on using WoL for healing analysis.  She specifically plays Resto Druid and her blog about that is spot on.

That is the name that shall not be spoken.

The proper wording is "Daddy".

Ivaria
Officer
Veteran

Del misses his father.

I was once like you good fellows. Then I found breathe right nose stripes. Now look at me! Able to breathe through my nose and everything! LOL keep laying into them Porter.

Ivaria
Officer
Veteran

SimC can be good if you want to find out theoretically what you SHOULD do on a fight.  However, my point here is more look at what you DID do and then compare that to a really pro player of your same class/spec and see what you can do differently next time that could improve your performance.

My big problem with simulations is they are typically like 'if this were Patchwerk this would be the optimal thing to do' which really never reflects reality in an actual boss fight.

For tanks, Theck has made a SimC method for tanks, though I guess it would give a baseline for survival not an accurate reflection of our performance.

Marshmellowz
Initiate

This is a great guide, if you guys really dedicated a bit of your time to improve your performance more heroics would go down. Prove to yourself that you're better than most, what is a better feeling, to get a piece of gear you think you need to kill a heroic or to kill a heroic boss you've worked so hard for?

Best of luck to you all.

Ivaria
Officer
Veteran

I've found an old but pretty solid link on analyzing Prot Paladin tanking using World of Logs:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/10/07/tanking-paladin-log-guide/

Spicy & Straata you guys should take a look and see if we can apply some of those techniques.  It seems like we could learn a lot and also give some good feedback to Del and I on where we can help keep you guys up better (no heals before death, cycling in our CDs more, etc.).

lol u r only good cus 2heal BAD PRIEST

Ivaria
Officer
Veteran

I've been harping a lot lately about the need for all of us to strive for continual improvement. I realize there are a lot of factors that contribute to performance in any given attempt.  This includes special assignments, boss mechanics that favor a particular class, etc.  That being said, I think a very reasonable goal we can set for ourselves is to see a steady improvement in our performance on a fight over time.  

The first kill is typically going to be our personal worst as each of us is least familiar with the fight. Shit is going to be extra hectic, some people will be dead and berserk is looming.  However, after a progress kill when we start to farm a boss is a great opportunity to analyze our performance and look for areas of improvement.  You can practice a lot on a farm fight and apply what you learn to new encounters with similar mechanics in the future.  Hopefully over time you will feel better equipped to deal with those hectic first progress kills.

There are two very useful web sites that can help you track and analyze your raid performance; Raid Bots and World of Logs.

World of Logs is a site most of us are pretty familiar with.  The site provides a rich set of analysis tools to dive deep into your performance on any particular kill or wipe attempt to see what went wrong and where we can do better.  Overall though the site is pretty complicated and it can be really hard to figure out how to do a proper analysis.  

Here is a good tutorial on how to use World of Logs for some basic analysis of your personal performance:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/923352-A-Guide-to-using-World-of-Logs

If you have questions on how to look something up in particular, there are a lot of class specific guides out there too.  Myself and others in the guild who know the site well can also help.

Raid Bots is a website which allows you to graph your DPS or HPS as recorded in World of Logs over time.  What this means is when you kill a boss each week, Raid Bots takes the DPS recorded off of World of Logs and adds it as a point on the graph.  This makes it really easy to see if your performance on a particular boss fight is consistently improving each week and lets you know which fights you are struggling with and need to do a deeper analysis to find areas of improvement.

TL;DR - you use Raid Bots to find out which boss fights you have inconsistent or poor performance on.  Then you use World of Logs to dive deep into what you are doing in those fights and what other top players of your class/spec are doing that is working better.

Here are links to everyone's RaidBots performance over time as a starting point:

Del

Cookie

Gid

Straata

Spicy

Ivaria

Wobbz

Ark

Caylin

Bomber

Tiduss

Simply click the name of the player above and then on the left hand pane select the fight you would like to see performance over time for.

If you have any questions I would love to walk you through how to use either web site.  I look at these trends and I hope we can see performance start to go upwards week over week moving forward.

P.S. I know RaidBots is basically worthless for tanks.  You two need to just dive into World of Logs directly.  I'll see if I can find a tank specific guide online for doing performance analysis with logs.

Jump to: